News Flash: Nine Arrested in Europe-Wide Dark Web Raids

I only knew about it when I was reading a very small article (five sentences long) in a local newspaper. Despite of not telling how was the process of acquiring their targets it seems Tor (and perhaps I2P) are compromised in a larger scale that we thought.

SOURCE link

Dark web suspects allegedly trading in illegal drugs, weapons, fake IDs and counterfeit money have been targeted in a series of police raids across Europe.

A total of 69 homes and businesses were raided in Bosnia Herzegovina, France, Germany, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Russia, and Switzerland. Germany's federal police confirmed the arrest of nine suspects, including the alleged leader of three dark web forums.

The 27-year-old Bosnian national, who has not been named, was allegedly responsible for the "technical management" of the three sites, with police claiming he played a "key role" in their operation. He is also accused of helping to process illegal transactions and allegedly acted as a "trustee" between buyers and sellers on dark web marketplaces.

German prosecutors confirmed the shutdown of five dark web sites (...). The marketplaces also traded in hacking services, software for running DDoS attacks and tutorials on running illegal streaming sites.

During the raids police seized a number of computers and hard drives, a gun and large quantities of illegal drugs. Around €150,000 in cash was also found, along with two bitcoin wallets.

Servers used to run the dark web marketplaces were also seized in France, the Netherlands, Lithuania and Russia. Dark web sites taken down as part of the raids now display a message from the German federal police that explains they have been seized for hosting "criminal content".

(...)

A 22-year-old German national from Lower Saxony was arrested on suspicion of selling cocaine, cannabis, amphetamines and ecstasy to various buyers on the dark web. A 19-year-old Syrian national and his 28-year-old brother, also a Syrian national, were arrested on suspicion of producing the amphetamines.

During raids police seized 26kg of amphetamine, 1.5kg of cocaine, 2kg of hashish and 2.3kg of ecstasy, with a combined street value of €250,000.

Police in Germany described the operation as a "major blow" to the German-speaking dark web, adding that it was "further proof that there is no complete anonymity on the internet".

1 Response

This is scary. Right now I'm running the Tor browser on top of a VPN, but if Tor has indeed been compromised, I'm going to have to stop using it and find something else. I guess it was all a matter of time anyway.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active