Forum Thread: How to Watch HULU When You Are Outside the US

Hulu is an American online video service that offers a selection of TV shows, clips, movies. Hulu Plus subscribers can access episodes from ABC, Fox, NBC, and the CW the day after they air on Internet-connected TVs, smartphones, game consoles, set-top boxes etc. Hulu videos are currently offered only to users in the United States and its overseas territories. Other regions are blocked by IP address location for users outside the US. It will be a pity when you always use this service and being on vocation or business trip have no access to it.

To unblock hulu and other services avaliable only for users in the US I usually use services of different VPN providers. A VPN (Virtual private network) creates a virtual "tunnel" through which your data travels from your computer, over the Internet, to the VPN hardware at VPN provider. Thus for token payment I get an option of my IP changing and provide myself with secure connection. I don't recommend you to use free proxy to watch video online because they don't have enough speed. Among all vpn-providers I prefer www.boxpn.com (you can use another one taking into consideration its price, speed, privacy policy and of course servers located in the United States), there are more than 150 similar providers).

Step 1: Chose VPN Provider and Start to Use Its Service

Having chosen VPN provider best for your needs, go to its website, create an account, chose payment plan (usually such providers offer three payment plans - 1 month, 3 months and 12 months; yearly order is the cheapest one), make a payment and start to set up vpn on your device.

Step 2: Set Up VPN

I usually use hulu on my Mac. So at first I should download OpenVPN client for MacOS X from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tunnelblick/files/All%20files/.

Then run it, select "Tunnelblick" and double-click on it. Then select "Open", then "Launch" Tunnelblick. The next step is to select "I have configuration files" and answer "OpenVPN configuration(s)" on the question "Which type of configuration do you have".

Next step is adding VPN configuration by guide you see on the screen (but don't click "Done"). Get openvpn configuration files from you client area (in my case it is https://boxpn.com/configs.aspx). You will find a lot of available configs for different servers worldwide you can connect to. You need any US server.

Next step is to move chosen openvpn config file from "Documents" folder to "Empty Tunnelblick VPN Configuration" folder. Rename the folder to VPN profile name you want to use. Add an extension of .tblk to the end of the name of the folder. And only after that click "Done", then select "Do not check for a change". Double-click the folder to install this configuration. Select "Only Me" if you want to make this VPN configuration available only for your Mac. Press "ok" to install Tunnelblick VPN Configuration.

Now you are ready to connect. Click on Tunnelblick icon and select VPN profile of one of the US server, fill "Username" and "Password" with your credentials.

Step 3: Enjoy Hulu!

For the sake of good order first of all check your IP. Go to www.whatismyip.com and you will see IP, used proxy (if any), your country/region/city and ISP. Being sure that your location is the US, go to hulu and enjoy.

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active